Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Outlast Solar Kit come with?
- 12 – Outlast Solar Mount Flashings
- 12 – 10mm Stainless Steel Hanger Bolts (must specify 8” or 10” length)
- 12 – 10mm Bonded EPDM Rubber Seals
- 36 – 10mm Stainless Steel Flat Washers
- 36 – 10mm Stainless Steel Hex Nuts
- 12 – Aluminum L-Foot Brackets for Side Mount Rails
What will I need to install the Outlast Solar Flashings?
- 1-1/4” Diamond Core Drill Bit
- 5/16” drill bit
- 7mm socket bit
- 17mm or adjustable open end wrench
- Roofing Sealant
Why should I use Outlast Solar Flashings?
- Flexibility! When installing on Tile Outlast is the clear choice due to its flexibility. The lead will easily form to match the “waves” in the tile without having to use hooks, extension arms or other “gimmicks”.
Do Outlast Solar Flashings qualify for LEED?
- Yes! Not only are they recyclable, they are made from 100% recycled material! Outlast flashings qualify for LEED credits under section MRc4.1.
How do I know Outlast will work?
- Our parent companies, Santa Rosa Lead Products & Mayco Industries, have been successfully manufacturing lead roof flashings for over 75 years. We have had solar flashings in service in Hawaii & California for nearly 10 years. Outlast is a new division, with a focus on the solar industry.
Will I have to replace the flashings?
- No way! Like the name says, our flashings are made to OUTLAST the roof! When installed properly the average lifespan of a lead flashing is 50+ years. It is resistant to all forms of corrosion including UVA/UVB rays, rain, snow, and even salt air. There are many roofs in Europe with their original lead roofs still intact that are over 200 years old.
How durable are Outlast Solar Flashings?
- Outlast Solar Flashings are made of lead. Lead is a building material that has been used for thousands of years. It will not rust or corrode. Over time, like copper, it will oxidize its outer layer developing a patina that serves as another layer of protection against the elements. Think the Statue of Liberty’s green color, except lead oxidizes a dull grey color instead.
Where can I buy Outlast Flashings?
- We have many distributors throughout the country. Call us at 800-916-5323 or see our website for a list of distributors near you!
Do you offer custom sizes?
- Yes. All of our lead products are made in the USA, if a custom size is needed there is not a long lead time waiting on an overseas shipment. We can manufacture Outlast to fit everything from conduit pipe, exhaust pipe, or even larger diameter standoffs. If you need to flash any roof penetration, Outlast can make the right size for the job. We can custom make any flashing to your exact needs.
Are the hanger bolts available in more than one size?
- Yes, our kits come with 8” or 10” hanger bolts (must specify), which will fit many tile roof applications. For higher profile tiles 12” hanger bolts are also available upon request.
I have heard lead is dangerous, is it safe to handle Outlast flashings?
- When handled properly lead poses no danger. Our flashings are used on all types of residential, commercial and industrial roofs with no issues. The best way to describe the safe handling of lead products is to equate it to the safe handling of raw chicken. After preparing chicken, you would not wipe your eyes or mouth without washing your hands first. The same goes for handling Outlast Solar Flashings. For information on lead safety in the workplace please refer to OSHA Title 29 CFR 1910.1025
Is there anything else I should know about Outlast Solar Flashings?
- The Outlast Solar Kit is all inclusive package that includes the flashings, bolts & L-brackets for mounting the rails. Outlast Solar Flashings were developed with the roofer/installer in mind through in-depth research involving the input from many PV installation specialists. Outlast is the easiest to install and most cost-effective solar mounting solution for tile-roof installations. Outlast Solar Flashings will Outlast the life of your roof!
For more questions regarding installation contact firstname.lastname@example.org